Even picky eaters will like this Instant Pot barbecue chicken. Barbecue sauce provides moisture while the spice blend adds depth of flavor to the chicken skin. Preparation time for this barbeque chicken meal is minimal, and the final cooking time is even shorter: 18 minutes. If you’re looking for a simple dinner option on a hectic day, this is it. Pressure buildup and release might take up to 20 minutes.
Make your own barbecue sauce or use a favorite brand. In addition to the traditional Memphis-style sauces like this one, you might also try this beer barbecue sauce or this spicy Texas-style sauce. This guide might help you come up with your own own brand of sauce if you’re feeling really inventive. Pour on some liquid smoke or season with anything that tastes like it has been smoke-flavored. Serve the chicken with potatoes, macaroni and cheese, or rice along with a coleslaw, salad, or a vegetable side dish.
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 18 mins
- Pressure Release: 10 mins
- Total: 38 mins
- Servings: 4 servings
|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
- Boneless, skinless breasts of chicken weighing around three pounds each (thighs, drumsticks, breasts)
- 3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- Salt, kosher, 1 heaping teaspoon
- Smoked paprika
- Chilli powder: 1 tsp
- 1/8 tsp. dried garlic
- An onion powder about half a teaspoon
- 1/8 tsp. cracked black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, or as desired
- BBQ sauce: 1 cup plus a little more to put on the meat
How to Make It: Step by Step Instructions
1. Make a list of all the items you’ll need.
2. Combine brown sugar, salt paprika, chili powder and garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper and cayenne pepper in a small mixing bowl.
3. Dry the chicken by patting it with paper towels. The spice combination should be applied liberally to the chicken pieces.
4. The trivet and 1 cup of water should be placed in the instant pot. Put the seasoned chicken pieces on the trivet and cook them.
5. Brush the chicken with the remaining barbecue sauce, approximately 1/4 cup.
6. Turn the steam release valve all the way to the “sealing” position and secure the lid of the Instant Pot. Set the timer for 18 minutes on a high-pressure setting and push the start button. Allow the steam to escape spontaneously for ten minutes after the timer goes off. Allow any residual steam to leak out of the steam release valve with care.
7. The oven’s broiler should be preheated. Pour barbecue sauce over the chicken and place it in a foil-lined roasting tray. A few charred spots on the chicken should appear after around two to four minutes on the broiler. If you like, you may forego broiling the chicken to get a darker color.
8. In addition to serving the chicken with a side of potatoes or rice, you may also serve it with more barbecue sauce.
9. Indulge yourself and have a good time!