Try this surefire method for baking paella. You can change it up depending on what’s in your fridge – in this example, chicken, chorizo, and prawns.
Time required for preparation and cooking
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 400g chopped tomatoes from a can
- 600ml chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- A generous pinch of saffron
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 crushed or finely chopped garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 300g rice for paella
- 4 chicken thighs, cut in half (skin on or boneless)
- 200g sliced chorizo
- 150g raw king prawns (leave the shell on a couple if desired) a decent handful frozen peas
- 1 quartered lemon (optional)
Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 8. In a large heatproof jug or dish, combine the chopped tomatoes (with their juice), stock, paprika, and saffron and microwave for 5 minutes on high, or until boiling hot.
Place the onion and garlic in a large roasting pan or ovenproof dish, sprinkle with oil, and toss to coat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
Return the rice, chicken, chorizo, and hot stock mixture to the oven for 20 minutes (uncovered).
Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the rice, chicken, and prawns are cooked through, then stir in the peeled prawns and peas. If served with lemon, place the lemon slices on top of the paella during the final 5 minutes of cooking to make them hot and juicy. Check the seasoning and serve immediately.