This meal is filled with peas, sweetcorn, and peppers and is sure to become a family favorite. It will help you get your 5-a-day.
Time required for preparation and cooking:
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 12 teaspoon olive oil
- 85g macaroni or fusilli
- 85g frozen or canned sweetcorn
- 1 leek or 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 85g peas, frozen
- 1 deseeded and chopped red pepper
- two huge eggs
- Semi-skimmed milk, 150ml
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (preferably lemon thyme)
- 50g grated extra mature vegetarian chedder
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, finely grated (or vegetarian alternative)
Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. 5. Lightly grease a 1.2 litre baking dish with olive oil.
In a big pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta for 8 minutes. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked and the veggies have softened somewhat. Drain, then pour into the baking dish and combine well.
In a jug, whisk together the eggs and milk, then stir in the thyme. Combine the two cheeses and add the majority of it to the egg mixture, then season. Pour into the baking dish, gently toss, and top with the remaining cheese. 35-40 minutes, or until set and golden. Allow it cool for a few minutes before serving with a green salad.